Stretch those eggs further.
Strata is an American breakfast hot dish with a base of egg, bread, and milk. It’s great for stretching your eggs—in THIS ECONOMY—and using leftover meats, day old bread, and your favorite veggies.
- 8 cups bread any kind, crust optional
- 8 -10 eggs about 2 cups
- 2 3/4 cups whole milk or half and half cream
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Fillings – you pick!
- 8 slices bacon and/or
- 8 -10 breakfast sausage links
- 1 medium onion diced
- 16 oz mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion chopped
- 2 cups Other bite-size veggies like green peppers sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt & pepper
- Sauté onion over medium heat until translucent
- If using, sauté mushrooms in butter or olive oil on medium-high heat (5-7 minutes) and season with garlic and salt.
- Pan fry sausage links on medium high then cut into small pieces or cook ground sausage on medium-high heat.
- Bacon: Fry to cook or bake at 400F for 18-20 minutes. Crumble or chop into pieces.
- Cut bread into 1 inch cubes. About 8 cups. Place in large bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and seasonings in a separate bowl.
- Add egg mixture, veggies, meat, and cheese (set aside 1/2c cheese to sprinkle on top) to the large bowl with bread. Mix lightly to combine.
- Pour mixture into oiled 9×13 baking pan. Sprinkle 1/2 cheese on top.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Uncover strata.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until puffed and golden brown on top. Serve warm.
Use ingredients from the Fare For All Brunch Box or experiment with your favorite veggies, spices, and proteins.