Or is it stuffing?
Apple & Sausage Dressing
- Bread cubes
- 1 pound (8 cups) bread cut into 1/2-inch cubes (try an old sourdough loaf)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Sausage & Veggie Mix
- 1 pound sausage turkey or pork work!
- 2 cups celery about 6 stalks, diced
- 2 large apples
- 1 onion diced (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons sage fresh or dried
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
Toast Bread Cubes
- Spread bread cubes on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper then toss to coat. Toast in the oven for 10 minutes. Cool, then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Prepare Sausage & Veggies
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and break it up as you go. Brown the sausage (5-7 minutes).
- Add celery, apples, onion, sage, thyme, and pepper to the pan. Sauté 10-12 minutes, stirring only occasionally so the fruit and vegetables have a chance to brown
- Add the apple cider vinegar. Stir to coat and cook for 1 minute. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Stir in stock
- Pour skillet hash over the bread cubes in mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add mixture to a buttered 9 x 13” baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake, uncovered, another 20 minutes. Remove from oven and enjoy!